- Best Overall Mouse Repellent
- Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Rodent Repellent Spray
- Best Hassle-Free Mouse Repellent
- Grandpa Gus’s Mouse Repellent Pouches
- Best Plug-In Mouse Repellent
- Virine Ultrasonic Mice Repeller Plug-In
- Best Mouse Repellent for Outdoor Use
- Natural Armor All-Natural Rodent Shield
- Best Mouse Repellent for Cars
- Loraffe LED Under Hood Rodent Repeller
- Best Versatile Mouse Repellent
- Harris Rodent Repellent Spray
- Best Ultrasonic Mouse Repellent for Multiple Rooms
- Okutani Ultrasonic Pest Repeller
- What to Look For When Buying Mouse Repellents
- How do you repel mice?
- What is the best mouse repellent?
- Do mouse repellents work?
Mighty Mint 16oz Peppermint Oil Rodent Repellent Spray Ecomm Amazon.com
Best Overall Mouse Repellent
Mighty Mint Peppermint Oil Rodent Repellent Spray
This rodent repellent spray from Mighty Mint comes in an easy-to-use 16-ounce spray bottle, and uses pure peppermint oil to deter mice and rats without harming your pets or children. Its 4% peppermint oil concentration makes this product stronger than similar peppermint sprays, allowing it to be more effective and last longer. Plus, the minty smell won’t leave a chemical-like odor in the air.
- Extra concentrated strength makes for a long-lasting, effective mouse repellent7
- Safe to use around kids and pets
- Plant-based formula and locally sourced
- Not recommended for those sensitive to smells
Grandpa Gus’s Mouse Repellent Pouches Extra Strength Ecomm Amazon.com
Best Hassle-Free Mouse Repellent
Grandpa Gus’s Mouse Repellent Pouches
Hang ’em and forget ’em! These mouse repellent pouches from Grandpa Gus’s are simple to use—just hang them up wherever you want to prevent mice from feeling at home. Each pouch covers 50 square feet of space. They release a peppermint and cinnamon scent that keeps the pests away for up to three months, making them ideal for winterizing your boat or RV, or ensuring that your classic car remains in pristine condition.
- Lasts up to three months
- Natural formula made from essential oils
- Available in four, 10 and 16 pouches
- Effectiveness can fade quickly depending on airflow
Virine Mice Repellent Plug Ins Ecomm Amazon.com
Best Plug-In Mouse Repellent
Virine Ultrasonic Mice Repeller Plug-In
Virine’s ultrasonic pest repeller is powerful enough to cover 1,076 square feet, so your basement will be safe from various creatures. Although you won’t be able to detect the frequencies, the unit emits ultrasonic sounds and uses nine light-emitting diode (LED) strobe lights to disturb a rodent’s activity in a dark environment. This machine also regularly changes the type of sound being produced, so mice and other pests won’t get used to it.
- Uses both ultrasonic and electromagnetic frequencies
- Works on mice, rats, squirrels, spiders and more
- Won’t disturb humans, dogs or cats
- On the pricier side
Peppermint Repellent For Mice Ecomm Amazon.com
Best Mouse Repellent for Outdoor Use
Natural Armor All-Natural Rodent Shield
The 1-gallon size and convenient sprayer nozzle make Natural Armor’s rodent repellent fitting for outdoor use, like covering the entry points of your home or keeping a cabin free of pesky critters when you’re not around. Its peppermint formula is safe for children, pets and the environment and, if you’re not satisfied, the brand offers a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Available in 1-gallon size to cover large areas
- Can also be used indoors
- Top-mounted handle is easy to carry
- Has to be regularly used for best results
Loraffe Under Hood Rodent Repeller Ecomm Amazon.com
Best Mouse Repellent for Cars
Loraffe LED Under Hood Rodent Repeller
Designed to be placed under the hood of a car, the Loraffe rodent repeller device uses ultrasonic noise and bright LED strobe lights to dissuade critters that might chew through wiring and cables. It’s powered by your own car battery and automatically shuts off when you start the car—then powers back on when you park.
- Includes zip ties to mount in place
- Works with 12- to 24-volt batteries
- Automatically shuts off if car battery level drops too low
- Needs to connect to a battery to work
Harris Peppermint Oil Mice & Rodent Repellent Spray Ecomm Amazon.com
Best Versatile Mouse Repellent
Harris Rodent Repellent Spray
Whether you’re looking to spray your home, under the car hood or around children and pets, Harris’ rodent spray repels mice and rats. The formula’s natural oils smell pleasant to humans, but the peppermint and cinnamon combination will discourage the critters you want to keep away. Just use the handy nozzle to spray the 20-ounce bottle wherever there are concerns as part of your fall pest prevention.
- Can be used in homes, cars, boats and barns
- Combines peppermint and cinnamon oils
- Provides a pleasant scent for humans
- Scent may fade quickly
Okutani Ultrasonic Pest Repeller Ecomm Amazon.com
Best Ultrasonic Mouse Repellent for Multiple Rooms
Okutani Ultrasonic Pest Repeller
You’ll have all the mouse repellent power you need with this ultrasonic repeller kit. It includes six plug-in units—each covers up to 1,600 square feet—which will effectively cover several rooms. They use ultrasound to irritate pests and disturb their nervous systems, convincing them to move along and, hopefully, preventing them from taking up residency in your home.
- Comes in a pack of six and just needs an outlet
- No sprays or strong smells
- No maintenance required and lasts 24/7
- May take a few weeks to be fully effective
What to Look For When Buying Mouse Repellents
Before you tap add-to-cart, look for a product that’s going to be convenient to use. The best mouse repellent isn’t worth the money if it’s too much of a hassle to apply. For example, a small dropper isn’t going to be a practical choice for covering multiple spaces, where a larger spray bottle would be easier and more efficient. Also, when choosing a product with peppermint oil, make sure that it uses pure oil and not artificial mixtures that just smell like peppermint.
How do you repel mice?
You repel mice by creating an environment that they don’t want to live in. In addition to using these dedicated mice repellents to create an irritating and foul-smelling (to their noses, at least) space, you should also prevent them from seeing your home or vehicle as an attractive home in the first place. Plugging small holes with steel wool, cleaning crumbs off the kitchen floor and not leaving dog food out are all favorable ways to convince the creatures to look elsewhere.
What is the best mouse repellent?
Aside from a hungry cat that naturally releases a scent that averts mice, the best mouse repellent is peppermint oil spray. It has proven to be effective, smells nice, is easy to apply and won’t harm your pets, kids or plants. Peppermint oil does need to be applied regularly though, so if that’s not an option—like at a cabin you visit infrequently—the best choice for you is the one that works for longer periods of time, like dry pouches of odor repellent. Mice can also become accustomed to a deterrent that they once avoided, so it’s helpful to regularly change the method or product.
Do mouse repellents work?
Yes, mouse repellents work, but you need to understand their limitations. If a mouse is really hungry and your home or vehicle is inviting enough—like it’s easy to gain entry to and access to food—the best mouse repellent won’t keep it outside. Relying on a single product alone isn’t as effective as using it in conjunction with other methods, like putting food away and eliminating holes or cracks that they can squeeze through. This is especially important to keep in mind when it comes to ultrasonic mouse repellents. Although there’s limited evidence that these devices are as effective as they advertise, especially when a reliable food source is nearby, combining them with other repellents can increase their overall effectiveness. Essentially, the more steps you take to convince a mouse to disregard your space, the better.
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.