- Bacon and mushroom paptert tips
- Bacon and mushroom paptert recipe
- Did you make this recipe?
- Like this recipe?
This weekend, the weather will be perfect once again so it’s time for a braai. When you’ve got sides to plan, there is one South African favourite you can’t miss out on. Our bacon and mushroom paptert is the answer to your decision. Paptert or “maize tart” combines a cooked maize dish made from the same ingredients you’d have as breakfast porridge and then topping it with mushrooms, bacon and lots of cheese.
Bacon and mushroom paptert tips
This layered savoury tart is salty, cheesy and heartwarming with every bite. If you don’t like mushrooms, you can make a tomato and onion sauce like chakalaka which is still great with the addition of mushrooms too. You can make the maize mixture as thick as you want to and finding the perfect consistency can take time. Serve while still hot and steamy with your perfectly cooked braai meat and maybe a green salad if it becomes too rich.
You don’t have to look very far for a great braai side this weekend. Our traditionally delicious bacon and mushroom paptert is the perfect dish.
Last updated 1 November 2022
Bacon and mushroom paptert recipe
5 from 4 votes Recipe by Irene Muller Course: SidesCuisine: South AfricanDifficulty: Easy Servings
hour Total time
Do you know how simple it is to make this Mieliepap? Simpler than you think! A perfect side dish for a braai that is sure to impress.
750 ml coarse Maize Meal (or any other Maize Meal)
250 ml milk
500 ml water
60 ml olive oil
820 g sweet corn
2 cups grated cheese (Mozarella is perfect)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ small onion, cut into thin wedges
200 g button mushrooms cut into thin slices
10-12 sprigs fresh thyme
Bacon strips (chopped)
- Stir in flour Maize Meal, milk, water, oil and sweet corn in a bowl and mix well
- Add half of this mixture in the prepared oven dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle one cup of grated cheese over this mixture.
- Add the remaining mixture on top of the cheese. Sprinkle onion and mushrooms all over mixture, but do not stir.
- Sprinkle with thyme and season.
- Use the remaining cheese and sprinkle all over.
- Add the cut bacon to the mixture and Season
- Place in a prepared ovenproof dish in the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked and golden brown
- *If you don’t like the mushrooms, make a thick tomato and onion stew or Chakalaka, place it on top of the mixture, sprinkle with a little cheese and bake as described. Pieces of fried bacon can also be added. This is optional
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more tasty braai day recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have excellent suggestions for you to try.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.