- Homemade coconut cake suggestions
- Homemade coconut cake recipe
- Did you make this recipe?
- Like this recipe?
We all enjoy a big slice of cake sometimes, even when it’s not for a special occasion. Sometimes, they can be as simple as possible and our homemade coconut cake is light, fluffy and easy to make. It’s a homemade cake bursting with coconut flavor and topped with a smooth cream cheese frosting and decorated with flaked coconut. Not only is it tasty, it’s simply beautiful and great for tea time, dessert or a sneaky midnight snack.
Homemade coconut cake suggestions
Each layer of the cake is very light and you can even add some more coconut into the cake batter if you want to. However, a lot of the fun comes from the buttery cream cheese frosting. For a bit of flair, add a layer of caramel between the layers along with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting. Put the rest of the frosting into a piping bag or cut off the end of a zip-lock bag and make some beautiful decorations on top. Serve nice large slices and enjoy.
If you love cake and baking, this gorgeous homemade coconut cake recipe is for you. Perfect wit a cup of tea or coffee, and great conversation.
Homemade coconut cake recipe
0 from 0 votes Recipe by Marele van Zyl Course: DessertCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy Servings
- For the frosting
- For the topping
½ cup butter (salted/room temperature)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1½ cups sugar
3 large eggs (room temperature)
1 cup milk (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup butter (room temperature)
150 g full-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
5 cups powdered sugar (62 grams)
½ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup whole or whipping cream (60 grams)
1-2 cups coconut flakes (75-150 grams)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and lightly grease with butter and flour two (20 – 22 cm) cake pans.
- For the cake
- In a medium bowl at medium speed beat together butter and sugar for 2 minutes until combined then add eggs and beat, combine well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. then gradually add flour mixture, beating on low until combined. Add milk and vanilla and continue beating until combined.
- Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake until golden (use toothpick to test for doneness), approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting
- In a medium bowl beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy approximately 1 minute. Lower speed to medium and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beat well after each addition. Add salt, cream and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- To frost the cake, place the first layer on a large plate top side down, spread with approximately 1 cup of frosting, place the second cake top side down and frost with remaining frosting.
- Cover cake with coconut flakes. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @the.south.african on Instagram and hashtag it #recipes
Like this recipe?
Follow us @thesouthafrican on Pinterest
Looking for more tasty dessert recipes to prepare for your family and friends? Just have a look at our recipe page, we have excellent suggestions for you to try.
If you would like to submit a recipe for publication, please complete our recipe form here.