- Gather Your Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
- Cook The Chicken And Veggies
- Stir In The Wine And Seasonings
- Boil The Chicken And Noodles Until Tender
- Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
bowl of chicken noodle soup
It’s indisputable. Chicken noodle soup is the best cure for the common cold. When your nose is runny, your throat’s run dry, and the chills are shaking you from head to toe, all you can think about is a big, warm bowl of soup. And it’s not just an old wive’s tale, either. Chicken noodle soup contains immune boosting ingredients, and making it from scratch is the best way to reap those benefits.
Making homemade chicken noodle soup may sound daunting, but it actually comes together easily in about 30 minutes. In this recipe from developer Michelle McGlinn, the chicken is first browned, and then complimented by a splash of bright white wine, rosemary, and sage. Alongside thick egg noodles, this soup is a classic and quick favorite for the whole family.
Whether you’re wrapped up in a blanket nursing an endlessly runny nose, or simply craving a hearty noodle soup, this recipe is sure to hit the spot. Check out our recipe for homestyle chicken noodle soup below.
Gather Your Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
chicken noodle soup ingredients
This chicken noodle soup starts with the basics: chicken breasts, carrots, onion, and celery. The seasoned chicken and trinity of veggies creates a flavorful base for the remaining ingredients: butter, salt, pepper, garlic, white wine, fresh rosemary, chicken broth, egg noodles, and fresh sage. You can use chicken thighs instead of breasts, if preferred, or you can also use cooked rotisserie chicken for an even simpler soup. You only need a splash of wine in this recipe, but if you’d prefer to omit it, just swap it for extra chicken broth.
Of course, every chicken noodle soup needs an abundance of hearty noodles. Most recipes use egg noodles because they soften in the broth, and benefit from a long simmer, but you can use any pasta. We recommend long pastas like spaghetti, curly shapes like fusilli, or even orzo for something a little less noodle-y.
Cook The Chicken And Veggies
chicken cooking in a pot
First, season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven and add the chicken, cooking until deeply golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken all the way through yet, since we’ll be boiling it later on. Once browned, remove the chicken from the pot, and sautée the sliced carrots, diced celery, and diced onions in with the leftover juices. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
Stir In The Wine And Seasonings
chicken soup seasonings in broth
As the cooked vegetables begin to stick, stir in the minced garlic, and deglaze the pot with a splash of white wine. Use a dry, citrusy wine like a Sauvignon Blanc or an oaky Chardonnay. As the wine simmers, scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot, then pour in the chicken broth and chopped fresh rosemary. You can use water instead of chicken stock here, but note that you may need to season with extra salt.
Boil The Chicken And Noodles Until Tender
cooked chicken soup in pot
Using tongs, place the chicken back into the pot, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the noodles. Cook for around 15 minutes, then remove the chicken, and shred it using two forks. Add the pulled chicken back to the pot alongside the chopped sage and any additional salt and pepper to taste. Adding the sage at the end helps draw out the delicate flavor of the herb without overcooking it. If you don’t have fresh herbs, just swap for dried versions.
This homestyle chicken noodle soup can be delicious paired with crusty bread and leafy green salads. If you’re trying to beat a cold, have a big bowl of chicken noodle soup, then make yourself a steaming hot toddy. This soup is easy to store, as well. Keep covered in the pot or transfer to airtight containers, store for up to a week in the refrigerator, or freeze for later. Because the noodles absorb some liquid, add more broth before reheating.
Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
soup close up in bowl
Prep Time: 5mCook Time: 30mYield: 4 ServingsIngredients
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the chicken, cooking until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pot.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onions into the same pot, and sautée until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, and deglaze the pan with white wine. Add the chicken broth and rosemary.
- Carefully add the chicken back to the pot, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the egg noodles.
- Cook until chicken is tender and egg noodles are very soft, about 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot, and shred using two forks.
- Return the pulled chicken to the pot, add the sage, and combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.