- Frank Family Vineyard
- V. Sattui Winery
- Laird Family Estate
- Chandon Winery
- Rutherford Hill Winery
- Pope Valley Winery
- Charles Krug Winery
- Bouchaine Vineyards
These Napa Valley Wineries Are Perfect For A Picnic
No matter the season, one tends to get a little hungry when traipsing through Napa Valley sampling the latest vintages. With Napa’s amenable weather, stunning lush backdrop, rolling hills, and grassy knolls, adding an alfresco picnic experience to your full-bodied outing simply makes sense. An impromptu or add-on picnic is truly a delightful way to take your wine trail experience to the next level.
So whether you’re looking to have a relaxing bite to eat with the girls, enjoy a memorable meal with the fam, or want to add a touch of romance to your lover’s luncheon, this picnicker’s paradise is sure to suffice. To ensure your experience goes off without a hitch, here are the top Napa Valley wineries that are perfect for a picnic.
Frank Family Vineyard
The first stop on your vino meets picnic expedition should definitely be Frank Family Vineyards. This family-owned and award-winning winery offers a delightful 90-minute Picnic & Bottle Service Experience in a park-like setting under gorgeous century-old elm trees. Here, wine and picnic lovers can leisurely enjoy an alfresco bring-your-own-picnic (BYOP) treat paired with a nice vintage or an add-on tasting.
- Reservations: You can book this picnic experience for only $25 per person, while BYOP is complimentary for club members (up to six people).
- Tasting Add-ons: Guests can upgrade any tasting selection with a picnic for a flat rate of $25 per table.
V. Sattui Winery
For Napa Valley visitors looking to sip seasonal wines and enjoy a lovely pre-prepped picnic, a trip to V. Sattui Winery is a must. Here, guests can grab some gourmet take-out and vino to enjoy somewhere on the winery’s sprawling picnic grounds. With a large selection of food accompaniments, this is a great picnic for the whole family.
- Reservations: Guests do not need to make reservations in advance, and picnicking at V. Sattui is free. However, no outside food or drink is allowed.
- Tasting Add-ons: The Premium Outdoor Tasting tends to pair well with outdoor snacking and is $50 per person.
Laird Family Estate
Another BYOP spot to check out in Napa Valley is the Laird Family Estate. This winery offers a Bottle & Blanket Tasting for free when you purchase a bottle of wine. Here, guests can grab a picnic blanket from the tasting room and have a grand ole time surrounded by lush vineyards.
- Reservations: Booking in advance is not required for the Bottle & Blanket tasting option.
- Tasting Add-ons: Patrons can upgrade any tasting with a picnic. Outside food is also permitted, but only Laird wine can be brought or purchased for your patio or lawn outing.
Sparkling wine fans looking for a pleasant garden picnic experience should head on over to the Chandon Winery. Here bubbly lovers have two gourmet picnic options—the 90-minute Garden Grazing Box experience complete with a bottle of Chandon, which is perfect for small groups, and the two-hour Summer Cabanas for larger parties (includes one split bottle per person).
- Reservations: All tastings and experiences are by appointment only. The Garden Grazing Box is perfect for up to four people and is priced at $55 per person. The Summer Cabana is the better option for a max group of 12 and is $145 per person.
- Tasting Add-ons: Upgrades and additional bottles of wine are available as well.
Rutherford Hill Winery
If you’re looking to pair a glass of award-winning Merlot and sweeping valley views with your picnic experience, then Rutherford Hill Winery is an excellent choice. This winery is also a BYOP spot, so you can easily compliment your newly acquired bottle of Merlot with your favorite snack options. Reservations can be made online for the Picnic & Bottle Service.
- Reservations: Picnicking here is complimentary for wine club members for up to 4 guests or $30 per person for non-members.
- Tasting Add-ons: Several tasting options are available here that can be booked separately.
Pope Valley Winery
One of Napa Valley’s oldest wineries, Pope Valley Winery, offers patrons a photo-perfect picnic spot with incredible Pope Valley views, chill vibes, a bocce court, and aromatic yet savory wines. This winery is ideal for family outings and is even pet-friendly, so put together some of your wine-pairing favorites and have yourself a nice little two-hour Patio Picnic with a Third-Generation Flight.
- Reservations: Online reservations are recommended; a picnic experience here is $45 per person.
- Tasting Add-ons: Various additional tasting options can be booked separately.
Charles Krug Winery
Located in Saint Helena, the Charles Krug Winery is another attractive option for Napa Valley trailblazers looking to tour a historic winery with an on-site gourmet deli and a wood-fired pizza oven. Here, wine connoisseurs can indulge in a diverse selection of quality wines, mouthwatering pizza, and even some live jazz music while enjoying a relaxing 90-minute picnic.
- Reservations: Picnic experiences start at $75 per person for a booking of up to six people.
- Tasting Add-ons: Additional tasting options are available and recommended for groups larger than six.
Finally, for visitors who are ready to be wined and dine, the Bouchaine Vineyards’ Garden Picnic Experience is for you. Set against a picturesque backdrop that showcases Bouchaine’s bucolic rolling vineyards and the beautiful San Francisco Bay, patrons can enjoy a two-hour BYOP experience complete with the essentials. This is a wonderful choice for friends, families, and couples. This gorgeous vineyard is also pet-friendly.
- Reservations: This elevated garden experience is priced at $150 per table for groups of six or fewer and requires advance booking.
- Tasting Add-ons: Member and non-member wine kits are included. Kits include a bottle of Bouchaine’s Estate Pinot Noir, the second bottle of Estate Chardonnay, water, crystal wine tumblers, a wine key, and a wine bag.